‘Joke or not, these types of comments are felonies’: Police arrest Florida teen for online threat

first_imgrustythedog/iStock(DAYTONA BEACH, Fla.) — A 15-year-old student was arrested in Central Florida on Friday after authorities said he made an online threat to shoot up his school.The unnamed teenager, who attends Seabreeze High School in Daytona Beach, allegedly posted a comment on a video game chat platform on Thursday using a fake name, vowing to bring his father’s M15 assault rifle to school and kill seven people “at a minimum,” according to a statement from the Volusia County Sheriff’s Office. The school’s principal did not immediately respond to ABC News’ request for comment Tuesday morning.The comment was reported to the FBI, which contacted the Volusia County Sheriff’s Office. The teen allegedly admitted to posting the comment but insisted it was just a joke.“Joke or not, these types of comments are felonies under the law,” the sheriff’s office said in a statement Monday. “After the mass violence we’ve seen in Florida and across the country, law enforcement officers have a responsibility to investigate and charge those who choose to make these types of threatening statements.”Body-camera footage released by the sheriff’s office shows the moment deputies arrived at the teen’s home on Friday morning and handcuffed him. His mother can be heard telling deputies that she does own a gun and understands threats cannot be taken lightly.“But,” she says, “he’s just a little kid playing a video game.”A Seabreeze HS student was arrested after in a video game chat:“I Dalton Barnhart vow to bring my fathers m15 to school and kill 7 people at a minimum”The name was fake, and the young man responsible for the comment insisted it was a joke.https://t.co/lRlZaUSE3E— Volusia Sheriff (@VolusiaSheriff) August 19, 2019Copyright © 2019, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.last_img read more

Two injured in shooting near Fort Detrick in Maryland, Navy suspect killed after entering military base: Officials

first_imgvmargineanu/iStockBy Matt Zarrell, ABC News(FREDERICK, Md.) — Two people are in critical condition after a shooting near Fort Detrick in Frederick, Maryland, on Tuesday morning.Police were called for an active shooter situation at 8:20 a.m. in the Riverside Tech Park area, Frederick Police Chief Jason Lando said.When officers arrived on scene they found two adult males injured. The victims were flown by helicopter to Baltimore and are in critical condition, Lando said.The 38-year-old suspect, who Navy Public Affairs confirmed was a Navy Hospital Corpsman, then traveled to nearby Fort Detrick and was subsequently shot and killed by base personnel, police said. The suspect had been stationed at Fort Detrick, base officials told ABC News.“Our number one priority is the safety of our people,” said U.S. Army Garrison Fort Detrick Commander Col. Dexter Nunnally. “Our emergency responders are well trained for these types of situations and the fast response of our military police enabled us to contain this threat quickly.”Tommy Lamkin, a spokesman for the Naval Medical Research Center at Fort Detrick, confirmed that the shooting involved at least two Navy medical personnel.“We are aware of an active shooter at Fort Detrick, Maryland that has involved at least two Navy Medical Personnel,” Lamkin said.Navy Public Affairs also issued a statement confirming “there was an active shooter incident at Fort Detrick, MD involving U.S. Navy Sailors. We will continue to update with additional details as the situation evolves.”The police chief said it is a “very active scene” and did not want to comment on motive.“The public is no longer at risk, everyone is safe. No officers were injured, and there were no other injuries to bystanders,” Lando said.Fort Detrick and Frederick police are investigating the incident.Special agents with the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives along with a K-9 team are being sent to the scene, the agency said.ATF Special Agents and K-9 team are responding to a critical incident in Fredrick, MD to assist our law enforcement partners. More information will be provided by the lead investigating agency when available. pic.twitter.com/27HyLhT8jh— ATF Baltimore (@ATFBaltimore) April 6, 2021This is a developing story. Please check back for updates.Copyright © 2021, ABC Audio. All rights reserved.last_img read more

Grant Enfinger clinches Gander Trucks regular-season championship

first_imgGrant Enfinger sealed the regular-season championship for the NASCAR Gander Outdoors Truck Series by clinching an insurmountable points gap during Saturday’s race at Michigan International Speedway.RELATED: Race results | Truck standingsEnfinger’s ThorSport Racing No. 98 Ford finished sixth in the opening stage of the Corrigan Oil 200, securing the points needed for the regular-season crown. He locked up a berth in the eight-driver postseason field by merely starting the race, then went on to a seventh-place finish in the regular-season finale.“It’s definitely huge. It’s a huge accomplishment,” Enfinger said post-race. “We haven’t won a race yet, but we did get this. It’s a big deal for the playoffs — 15 playoff points — but also something to hang our hat on that we got out of hard work, perseverance. We finished seventh today, but had a 27th-place truck yesterday. That’s how our year has been. It hasn’t always been pretty, but we’ve always made the most of it.”Enfinger entered the race still searching for his first win of the Gander Trucks season. His consistency — 13 top-10 finishes in 16 races — has helped him find his path onto the postseason grid.This is only the second year NASCAR has crowned a regular-season champion in all three national series. Johnny Sauter claimed the Gander Outdoors Truck Series’ inaugural award in 2018.last_img read more

Formerly Homeless Woman Finds Inspiration in the Trash

first_imgAddThis Sharing ButtonsShare to FacebookFacebookFacebookShare to TwitterTwitterTwitterShare to EmailEmailEmailShare to RedditRedditRedditShare to MoreAddThisMoreAfter surviving a year and a half of homelessness in the early 1980s, Lucinda Yates moved back to Portland and started putting her life back together by waitressing.But her true breakthrough came in August 1988, when she noticed some colorful mat boards in a frame shop’s trash can. She pulled the discarded boards out of the garbage and started cutting them into elementary shapes, eventually creating a pin that looked like a house. Yates sold the pins to a local homeless shelter for $6, which in turn sold the pins for $10 to raise funds.To date, Designs by Lucinda has sold more than 5 million pins, raising more than $25 million for thousands of nonprofits in the U.S. and globally.(READ the story in the Huffington Post)AddThis Sharing ButtonsShare to FacebookFacebookFacebookShare to TwitterTwitterTwitterShare to EmailEmailEmailShare to RedditRedditRedditShare to MoreAddThisMorelast_img read more