Archives July 2019

Developments in Development Brand New Condos and More

first_imgReady or not, here they come: New condos and new restaurants are on their way to the neighborhood unless the Mission Moratorium puts the kibosh on them. Sites slated for condos dot the Valencia corridor, and SocketSite reports that one of them, an existing gas station at 24th and Valencia streets, was granted an exception from an extensive environmental impact report last week. The formula is familiar and popular: 36 units of condos on top of a ground floor filled with retail, and an overall height of about 50 feet with the usual smashed-Rubik’s-Cube facade style. Same story one block over on 23rd and Valencia. Really, almost the exact same deal: Former gas station, ground floor retail, 49 condo units, six of them on-site below market rate, and boxy facade. This one has extensive parking, however, boasting almost 30 spots. It won the approval of the Planning Commission, but still needs to get building permits. More details on this next week.Housing, of course, isn’t the only thing in San Francisco that continues to attract new stuff; The Mission’s stock of new food is growing ever fatter. 0% Wes Burger, the popular gourmet burger-pop-up that appears weekly at Mojo Bicycle Cafe on Divisadero, has snapped up a spot on Mission Street next to Mission Chinese, reports SFGate. The restaurant’s namesake and chief burger-maker started out as an amateur but dazzled tasters at a competition so fiercely that he outshone even seasoned chefs.Meanwhile, the now empty former Abbot’s Cellar on Valencia Street will become the new home of Brasserie St. James, the second offshoot of the beer bar St. James Infirmary, based in Reno, Nevada. Eater announced the move in July, at which point opening was expected in fall of this year. Mateo’s Taqueria has opened on Mission Street in the former Javi’s Grill location. Despite its modern, sleek finish, it makes a burrito anyone in the Mission will appreciate – or so says our food reviewer Maria Ascarrunz. Read about their arm-sized burritos here.A tea store has put in an application to move into a spot on 16th street near Valencia. Tastea Lounge, rumored to be an affiliate of a boba tea chain (chains tends to encounter strong resistance on or near Valencia) is listed on planning department documents, which also indicate that the would-be tea establishment is seeking a conditional use authorization to change the spot from retail to restaurant (another unpopular move). Finally, the former site of an organic Japanese restaurant named Minako, on Mission Street between 17th and 18th streets, may soon be serving…soup? An organization called Rosarito Soups has applied for beer and wine license there. The license application is the only active planning document for the site, so opening may be a ways off yet. center_img Tags: Developments in Development Share this: FacebookTwitterRedditemail,0%last_img read more

Can the city clean up the 16th Street BART plaza

first_img 0% The 16th and Mission BART station is looking a lot cleaner these days, and if city and BART officials succeed in their plans, throwing on your blinders every time you walk through the plaza may no longer be necessary.“The bottom line is, for a transit hub as big as the 16th Street BART station, it is absolutely unacceptable that the residents of San Francisco and transit riders have to subject themselves to those conditions on a daily basis,” said District 9 Supervisor Hillary Ronen at a hearing Wednesday.Ronen decided to take on the plaza after regularly cleaning it with BART Board member Bevan Dufty for the last several months.“We have made it a crusade to change conditions at the station,” she said, acknowledging that the station looks much better than it did months ago. The changes?Paul Oversier, BART assistant general manager of operations, said that by April the station will have more dedicated cleaners. Two shifts of at least one cleaner will be assigned to the station every day, adding up to 14 total shifts, seven days a week. Six of those shifts will have two cleaners dedicated to the plaza.Before, he said, six of the shifts split one person between the 24th and 16th street stations. “When you’re trying to keep two major stations like that clean, you barely have enough time to empty the garbage and not do a whole lot more,” he said.Oversier also said BART upped steam-cleaning at the station from one hour every night to four hours, seven days a week. In April, BART will be applying a sealant over the surface of the plaza so that urine and other liquids don’t soak into the tiles, he said.The 24th Street station will also have 14 shifts of cleaners, though without the same level of steam-cleaning and without the sealant, Oversier said.He said similar changes are happening at San Francisco’s other four main stations. The cleaning staff is also undergoing more formal training and using better equipment, and the agency has one person dedicated to overseeing maintenance for the whole system.“The goal is to professionalize the function of cleaning stations at BART,” Oversier said, explaining that the agency hired an outside consultant to recommend changes.Oversier said BART and the San Francisco Municipal Transportation Agency independently funded two workers to do homeless outreach at the four downtown stations, although not at 16th and Mission.However, Jeff Kositsky, director of the Department of Homelessness and Supportive Housing, said that the 16th and Mission area has been one of the most active areas for his department’s homeless outreach workers.He also said that his department is considering expanding BART station outreach to other stations – though only with the proper staff and resources.Kositsky noted that homelessness is a regional issue: San Francisco has 24 percent of the Bay Area’s homeless population, 44 percent of the area’s permanent support housing, and 33 percent of its shelter beds. Every year, he said, roughly 5,000 homeless people come to San Francisco from other Bay Area counties.“So I agree with Supervisor (Jeff) Sheehy on the need to look at this as a regional problem and coordinate better with our surrounding counties,” he said, referring to calls by Sheehy for a more holistic approach in addressing homelessness in BART stations and trains.Larry Stringer, deputy director of operations at the Department of Public Works, said his department power washes areas surrounding the plaza four nights a week. He noted, however, that in order to truly keep it clean, a dedicated person is needed seven days a week.But he did say Public Works has so-called “corridor workers” cleaning the areas surrounding the plaza Friday through Monday.Regarding public urination, Stringer said Public Works cooperated with BART on installing the “pee wall” – a wall that, supposedly, splashes urine back at delinquent urinators – with marginal success. “It was somewhat effective,” he said. “It didn’t totally solve the problem.”More successful, however, were the so-called two bathroom “pit stops” installed on or near the plaza, he said.“This is the only place in the city where you’ll find two pit stops right across the street from each other,” he said. “But the amount of urine and everything that was going on there – we decided this was a definite location where we needed to try this.”He said BART has agreed to continue funding for the pit stops for the next couple years.Separately, opponents of the proposed 1979 Mission St. development argued during public comment that the initiatives being undertaken by the city were more appropriate for improving the intersection than a 10-story, 380-unit project that its developer says will have the same effect.“I really want to applaud what you’re doing – it’s exactly what needs to happen there,” said a woman named Susan who said she was a parent at Marshall Elementary and a member of the Plaza 16 Coalition, which opposes the development.“Maximus stated from the beginning how they were going to improve the neighborhood by bringing in luxury housing,” she said. “… that’s not going solve the problems at the 16th Street BART station – this is the kind of thing that will.” center_img Tags: 16th Street BART • Board of Supervisors Share this: FacebookTwitterRedditemail,0%last_img read more

Adela Chu founder of Carnaval San Francisco speaks to Mission Local

first_img 0% This weekend is Carnaval, one of the city’s biggest events of the year. On Saturday and Sunday, the festival will take over the streets of the Mission and celebrate its 40th anniversary. In honor of this year’s theme — Roots of Carnaval — Mission Local spoke to the person responsible for bringing Carnaval to San Francisco: Adela Chu. Chu was born and raised in Panama and came to San Francisco in the early 1970s. She is an artist of many trades — a dancer, international choreographer, actress and musician, and teacher. She now lives on Oahu in Hawaii.We spoke to Chu on the phone while she was still in Hawaii, though she will visit San Francisco as the Grand Marshall of this year’s festival.Chu remembers the first Carnaval started out with just 300 people, circling Precita Park at the foot of Bernal Hill; by the end, there were 1,300 people dancing in the park.Listen to our interview to learn more about the beginnings of Carnaval, and what Chu is excited to see and hear at Carnaval this weekend. Related:Photos: Whirling, stepping and drumming through CarnavalPhotos: SF’s Carnaval parade dances through the Mission center_img Tags: Carnaval Share this: FacebookTwitterRedditemail,0%last_img read more

TOMMY Makinson has been reflecting on a challengin

first_imgTOMMY Makinson has been reflecting on a challenging but rewarding year at the Saints.The winger, who bagged 82 points in 25 games, says despite the heartbreaking end to the campaign, he has a lot to be proud of.“Losing is never a good feeling but we have come a long way this year,” he said. “We were down in eighth at one point and had a lot of injuries so we can be proud of ourselves with what we have achieved.“We came together as a group and changed the roster a bit too. Adam Swift came in, Mark Percival and Luke Thompson, they all came in and reaped the rewards. We missed Jonny Lomax, Sia Soliola and Willie Manu too.“But we went to Leeds with a full strength team and were pipped at the post.”Tommy, 21, also paid tribute to the departing Tony Puletua and Francis Meli.“I don’t play for myself; I play for those around me and my teammates instead. TP and Franny have been like father figures to me. I have not only learnt rugby league lessons from them but life lessons too.“It has been a good year for me and I’ve had a couple in a row now. I want to come back stronger and my main goal is to have the feeling Leeds did at the end of our match.“I’ll take a break, then be with England Knights and back into pre-season.”Tommy will be ready for 2014… will you?Be #saintsheartbeat and get your Season Ticket for next season now.You can find out more by clicking the image below.last_img read more

LAST year was a great year for England RFL as they

first_imgLAST year was a great year for England RFL as they secured a huge win over the number one test ranked team, when New Zealand visited in November for a three-test series.Having played at the KC Stadium and then the London Olympic Stadium the series was tied at 1-1 going into the last test at the DW Stadium. England battled to the win and took the series win and the Baskerville Shield.The RFL and First Utility have teamed up to be able to offer you a replica shirt from that 2015 test series, which will also be signed by one of 2015 England Squad*.As well as owning a piece of signed England memorabilia, customers who switch to First Utility will also save an average of £334** on their energy bills, which can go a long way to paying for next year’s season ticket.To take advantage of this offer, click here and get a quote to see how much you could save.Once you’ve switched to First Utility and passed your cooling off period, you’ll be sent an email for you to order your shirt****Signed shirts will be randomly selected and you cannot choose which player signature you receive.**Customers who registered at first-utility.com to one of our 1, 2, or 3 year fixed term and everyday tariffs between 01 January 2016 and 31 March 2016 saved an average of £334 per year.***Terms and conditions applylast_img read more

After Brunswick Co fires back Belville clarifies statement on GenX

first_imgBRUNSWICK COUNTY, NC (WWAY) — The Town of Belville is clarifying a statement it made concerning GenX, after Brunswick County fired back, calling the statement Belville released ‘inaccurate and sensationalistic.’It stems from H2Go’s surprise move Tuesday night, when the Board of Commissioners voted to move the utility’s assets to Belville to preserve the work on the Reverse Osmosis Plant.- Advertisement – Belville released a statement, saying in part “Levels of GenX and other contaminants have been severely under reported. Who would stop, blunt or undermine a clean water alternative to a known, polluted water source?”In response, Brunswick County released the following, “Since the discovery of contaminants being discharged into the Cape Fear River, Brunswick County has been committed to open and honest dialogue about this challenging situation.  We have extended this same commitment to our valued municipal partners, and have trusted that they would act in a similarly responsible way. However, the recent claim from the Town of Belville that “levels of GenX and other contaminants have been severely under reported” is completely baseless.  This type of unfounded speculation has no place in public discourse, and it only serves to confuse citizens.”Not long after that, Mike McGill with public relations firm WaterPIO, sent a statement on behalf of the Town of Belville, saying there was a misunderstanding about a line in the news release.Related Article: GenX study leads to more questions than answers“The sentence, “Levels of GenX and other contaminants have been severely under reported,” was not meant to infer that local water utilities are withholding test results from their customers. Instead, it was meant to state our concern about the lack of information that has been relayed to the public over the years about the contaminants being found in the Cape Fear River.” it reads.  “Yesterday, we learned tests are underway to gather data on Nafion 1 and 2, contaminants where there is little known about their health effects. As the StarNews reported, its levels in the Cape Fear River do not appear to be dropping. We hope this clears up the confusion.”last_img read more

Santa by the Sea features penguins at NC Aquarium at Fort Fisher

first_img The penguins, Simon and Blueberry, are visiting from an aquarium in Kentucky. The program aims to help share the story of the species and spread awareness about their declining population.You can go see the special guests from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Saturday and Sunday.Related Article: Fort Bragg soldiers prep for Thanksgiving dinner on postThe event is free with aquarium admission. Penguins at NC Aquarium (Photo: NC Aquarium at Fort Fisher) FORT FISHER, NC (WWAY) — Santa is a busy man this time of year but he’ll be visiting the North Carolina Aquarium at Fort Fisher with some special guests this weekend.The aquarium’s Santa by the Sea event this weekend features the big man himself and two adorable African penguins.- Advertisement – last_img read more

Britts Donuts sweetens up Carolina Beach for another season

first_imgCAROLINA BEACH, NC (WWAY) — After a long winter, you can finally indulge on some yummy donuts from our area’s iconic donut shop Britt’s Donuts.Britt’s, located on the Carolina Beach Boardwalk, opened their doors at 3 p.m. Friday to a large crowd for another season.- Advertisement – A long line wrapped around the boardwalk as people of all ages waited to enjoy the shop’s original glaze donut.The shop will be open Saturday March 24 from 8:30 a.m. to 10 p.m. and again on Sunday, March 25 from 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. or until the donuts are gone.These will be the regular weekend hours of Britt’s each weekend up until Memorial Day, with the exception of Easter weekend.Related Article: USCG to remove navigational markers in Carolina Beach Inlet due to safety concernsOn Easter weekend the shop will open from 4 p.m. to 10 p.m. Friday, March 30; 8:30 a.m. to 10 p.m. Saturday, March 31, 8:30 a.m. to 10 p.m. Sunday, April 1; and 8:30 a.m. to 10 p.m. Monday, April 2.The shop will open daily after Memorial Day, May 29.last_img read more

Passport service now available in Pender County

first_imgUnited States passports (Photo: Tim Sackton / CC BY-SA 2.0) BURGAW, NC (WWAY) — Are you traveling abroad soon and need to get a passport or renew it? The office of the Pender County Register of Deeds is now offering passport services in its Burgaw office.“You don’t have to leave the county to apply for a US Passport,” said Sharon Willoughby, the register of deeds. “Our office provides the applications and for a small additional fee, we can take the passport photo as well.”- Advertisement – Walk-in applicants are welcomed, if staff is available, but you should make an appointment with the register of deeds office.“We are here to help you with your passport needs,” said Willoughby.The office of the Pender County Register of Deeds at 300 E. Freemont Street is open Mondays through Fridays, 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.Related Article: Lee Gantt to headline storm benefit concert in Pender CountyFor more information call (910) 259-1225.last_img read more

Wilmingtonarea Airbnb rentals earned 19 million in 2018

first_img$151,000 Related Article: Death investigation begins in Wilmington after officer is flagged down2018 Total Host Income 6,900 $4.9 million 30,000 Brunswick $78,000 85,000 Bladen $1.1 million New Hanovercenter_img 2018 Total Guest Arrivals Pender County There are now over 14,000 North Carolina residents who share their homes as Airbnb hosts, with Wilmington-area hosts typically earning about $10,000 annually in supplemental income.Airbnb is the world’s leading community driven hospitality company, catering to travelers less able to afford hotels and those who desire to stay in neighborhoods. Columbus 1,000 $12.8 million An Airbnb in downtown Wilmington (Photo: Kirsten Gutierrez/WWAY) WILMINGTON, NC (WWAY) — Airbnb announced Monday that its Wilmington-area host community earned a combined $19 million in supplemental income in 2018.There were also 125,000 guest arrivals welcomed in the greater Wilmington region.- Advertisement – 950last_img read more